Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mamata accuse section of media for distorting comments


West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee today accused a section of the media
for "distorting" her statement on the Judiciary in the
Assembly last Tuesday, claiming she had merely spoken about a
value-based judiciary.
"Both types of people are there in the world. There
are good people and there are bad people. All political
leaders are corrupt, it is not that."
"Similarly, all judges are corrupt, I have never said
this. Judges are not corrupt. Lawyers are not corrupt. I had
not said this. I had spoken about value-based Judiciary, need
for judicial reforms, political reforms, administrative
reforms, which were lacking since Independence, and the need
for state funding of elections. If that is wrong, then I will
repeat it a thousand times," she said while responding to
media queries at the state secretariat here today.
Banerjee said that what she had said inside the
Assembly had been recorded. "Why I will speak here. I told
that there is a need for electoral reforms and state funding
to help curb corruption".
Referring to the media, she said, "Why are you
engaged in playing dirty games? It may be that there will be
defamation against you if you distort. I have the freedom to
express my views".
Defending her earlier remarks on valuable time spent
by DMs, principal secretaries of various departments and SPs
for appearances before committees and authorities, she said
"if they were called for five days a week for 15 hours, then
how they would find the time to do the work for the people.
"I spoke about pendency is a tendency. You can make
out what I mean. Lakhs of cases are pending in court. People
do not get justice. In Bengal, the government has cleared one
lakh cases through Lok Adalats in the past one year", she
said.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment